Friday 5 June 2015

Travel | Packing for a Summer Getaway

 Summer is the season for sunshine which, if you are living in the UK, usually means jetting away to a more tropical climate. If you are dreaming of hopping on a plane and topping up your tan, then have a look at a few of my tips for packing your suitcase suitable for all occasions abroad!

I'm lucky enough to be jetting off to Orlando, Florida tomorrow for my sister's 21st with my family for two weeks! I've been excitedly counting down the days, although amidst all of my university exams and moving out of my flat, I've left my packing to the last day, oops. 

I have been to Florida quite a few times before so am very familiar with the heat (and humidity) of the place, which doesn't bode well for someone with frizzy hair like me, and of course the theme parks (which you have to visit if you are going to Orlando!) which makes it easier for me to know what to pack.
Considering all of the above, I based what I packed on three things:
- Activities
- Comfort
- Occasions
and obviously I've taken the temperature into consideration.


The above are just a few outfits that I would wear on a daily basis. I've paired super comfy shoes (as I'll be doing a LOT of walking) with both crop and normal tops along with denim shorts, as it will be too hot to wear anything longer! (and obvs I want a tan). I've also added the option of a shirt and cardigan for extra warmth in case we go into an air conditioned restaurant, or if it gets cool at night (which honestly never happens. Yay!)
Accessories Jazz up the outfits, but aren't really suitable for major roller coasters as they'll most likely end up hitting me in the face and make for a hideous (although hilarious) photograph, so I'll probably be taking them on and off throughout the day. This is where a bag comes in REALLY handy, so don't forget one!    
I've packed more, versatile tops and a couple of skirts. The tops are all light-weight and can be paired with bottoms to either create a care-free and relaxed outfit, or a dressed-up outfit for the nights activities i.e. dining out. The same for the skirts; they are made from a heavier material but they are really comfy, colourful and cute, so I'm prepared to feel a little hotter wearing them, and they are also fine when wet as they wont chafe between your legs (lol, that word makes me laugh).  
One outfit I have brought specifically for 'dressing up' in is the outfit above. The tailored looking dress is a recent purchase from Topshop, and despite being quite a heavy material, it's perfect for the night. I've paired it with a statement necklace from Newlook, some gladiator sandals from White Stuff and a light-weight kimono, again, from Newlook.
The picture below shows the tailored dress from Topshop, a light-weight, floaty dress from TKMaxx, a thin maxi dress from Urban Outfitters and a cute, floral playsuit from Missguided. The last three are all really versatile outfits as the material is so thin and light. They will dry really easily and keep me cooler than some of my heavier pieces or clothing.  
Obviously I'll be taking swimwear, as I'll be hitting the water parks and we're staying in a villa with a pool, which is heavenly in their hot, hot climate! Both bikinis are from River Island.
I'll be taking makeup with me for my nights out, but I have narrowed down my options because I don't think it's necessary to take all of it. The weather will be so hot during the day that I will most likely sweat it off and I'll be wearing sunglasses which will help to cover up my bags and blood-shot eyes (from the chlorine, not alcohol. Cough..)

And there you go, that's all I'm taking clothes/makeup wise. Obviously I'll be taking other hygiene related products like deodorant, toothbrush etc.
To summarise I have packed:
- Comfy Shoes 
(Jelly Shoes, Roche Run Nike trainers and Gladiator Sandals) 
- Clothes for all occasions and suitable for the weather 
(Fancy meals, day-time wear, swim wear, night-wear)
- Accessories
(Sunglasses, necklaces and bracelets etc)
A good tip for jewellery is to place them in sealable, plastic bags so they don't tangle.

I hope this post helps, especially for you last minute kinda people!
Check out my Pinterest for some holiday destination inspo! 
Beth x



Follow Beth's board Wanderlust on Pinterest.

No comments:

Post a Comment