Wednesday 3 June 2015

Made by me | Knitted Halter Neck Crop-Top


So this month I set myself the challenge of knitting my very own crop top. I have wanted to advance my skills technically within knitting for some time, but as I teach myself and have been busy with work and university I haven't really had the time or skill before now to do so. Seriously, if I was ever to pick up the knitting needles it would just be to knit ANOTHER hat, I've been knitting them so regularly that I could probably knit one in the dark. Just saying..

Anyway, I've been out shopping recently (after I finally finished my exams) and fell in love with all these knitted and crocheted crop tops/bralets/halternecks etc, but after looking at the prices of them I was a little put off; I knew I could make one for at least half the price and so I set myself the challenge.
I had bought some really beautiful coloured, blue yarn a couple of months ago and hadn't had a use for it up until I decided to knit my own top, it is really soft so I knew it would be perfect for wearing. 
I used 4.0mm straight needles and cast on 130 stitches (I'm a size 6/8 for tops as I have no boobs. cry)
I used a knit 2, purl 2 pattern until my stitches measured about 4cm and then proceeded to knit 1, purl 1 until that part of my work measured 15cm (so overall my work was 19cm). 

Obviously the length of your top depends on your own preference and personal measurements. I wanted my top to start just above my belly button.

Then I started to decrease my work, to create room for my arms. Here I would knit 2 together every third stitch, so I would use my usual pattern of knit 1 purl 1 and then knit 2 together, and then carry my pattern on. I did this until my work measured approximately 25cm accross. I then carried on knitting 1 and purling 1 until my work measured my overall desired length (around 30cm).

I put my work against my body to make sure it was the length I wanted and that it all looked alright, before I seamed the loose stitches at the top of my work together. Then I created a plaited, halter neck strap and attached that to my top. and finally seamed the back of my top together. 


The whole experience was a massive learning curve and took me about a week to finish (contributing about 3 or 4 hours a day as my hands begin to hurt when I knit for too long). I had nothing to guide me, I literally just used my knit and purl knowledge and guessed at what I was doing, so I'm extra proud that it worked out. Although there are things I would change, as it definitely isn't perfect and I am still altering my seaming on it, I'm determined to keep going until I have it right! 

I hope this helps any of you knitting novices, or anyone who wants to start knitting. It is super fun as you can literally make anything you want and you only really need to know the basics and have a bit of imagination! 

If you don't want to knit your own then here are a couple I love that you can buy online:
Vera Moda sleeveless knitted top, which you can buy from here.
Printed asymmetrical top from Zara. Clickable link here
I hope you enjoyed reading and feel inspired to make your own and get crafting! Check out my Pinterest board below for some crafty inspo
Beth x

Follow Beth Dallas's board Craft on Pinterest.

4 comments:

  1. It looks great! :D x

    www.butterflybecca.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks really cool! I'd love to try and make one. X


    -weeklymusthavess.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely give it a go! It's easy and fun!

    ReplyDelete